Monday 14 March 2011

COLLE3CT -Cultures of Collecting






One of my personal fascinations is why do we collect ? I have, I realise many sets of collections and cannot resist the new starting of a collection every time I walk on the beach.
I helped to curate and set up COLLE3T at the Eldon Building University of Portsmouth, it was a fascinating and rewarding experience trying to exhibit 15 different collections. I couldn't seem to get a perspective on it , thanks to my wonderful colleagues Denise Callender, Sarah Turner and input from George Hardie (the ruler collector) and Judy Harrison (rejected creamware collector ) it may never have looked as good as it does.

1 comment:

  1. Many of us might consider the objects as companions to our emotional lives: they may be provocations for others to make connections, and the conversations they hold when viewed become the starting point for more discussion: do objects and collections speak?
    COLLE3CT cultures of collecting is showing at SPACE University of Portsmouth UK until the 4th April 2011. It is a fascinating visual read as well as a potential for a beautiful book on the stories of the Collections
    look out for Judy Harrison's rejected collection of Stoke on Trent creamware its outstanding!

    ReplyDelete